Fidget spinner warning after Sydney boy swallows fad toy's loose disc

The boy was rushed to a Sydney hospital after swallowing part of the fidget spinner

CPSC investigating fidget spinners after reports of children swallowing loose pieces

- Fidget spinners are probably on the way out, with the high-water mark of fidget obsession appearing to be about a month behind us and the interest in the glorified ball bearings plateauing or declining, FiveThirtyEight's Walt Hickey says in an article.

A Sydney boy has been rushed to hospital after accidentally swallowing a loose part of a fidget spinner.

"The side of the spinner was cracked and when he spun it, the disc flew in his mouth and before he realised, he swallowed it", she wrote.

"Our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night & ended up at RNSH Emergency", she told the North Shore Mums Facebook group on Sunday.

The scan clearly shows the spinner's circular disc in the boy's stomach. "He has to pass it within two days or we're looking at alternative methods of extraction".

The fidget spinner, originally created to help those with ADHD and autism, has become one of the hottest toys this year.

Last month, a 10-year-old girl in the United States accidentally swallowed part of a fidget spinner and had to have it surgically removed from her oesophagus.

A number of Australian schools have banned the fidget spinners in classrooms, claiming they are distracting and addictive.

The fidget spinner has become one of the year's hottest toys.

Latest News