French prosecutors launch investigation into auto ramming attack

Paris attack

TWITTER Six soldiers have been injured after suspected car-ramming attack

Officers shot, wounded and arrested the suspect, following a dramatic vehicle chase on a motorway in the north of the country.

Policemen guard near the attack site in Levallois-Perret, France on August 9, 2017.

France24 quotes a spokesman for the Paris police as saying while the driver appeared to deliberately target the soldiers the motive for the attack is still unclear. There was no immediate word on his condition.

Authorities said it bore the hallmarks of a terror attack.

"A auto that was in the area arrived" to the group of soldiers, "she rolled gently, 5 meters roughly of the military, it has accelerated so as to be able to hit", explained the minister of the Inside Gérard Collomb. "It is time to tackle the huge problem of Islamist terrorism at the root", Ms Le Pen said in a communiqué.

In the bloodiest attack targeting France, 130 people were killed in a wave of shootings and bombings in Paris November 13, 2015, in carnage claimed by the Islamic State group (IS).

The U.S. Embassy in France posted an alert on Twitter early Wednesday, alerting U.S. citizens of "an attack on military personnel" and urging them to "avoid the area".

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told lawmakers in parliament that the "main suspect" had been detained.

A Lille policeman was injured by stray gunfire during the arrest, a spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor told CNN.

A judicial source said the suspect was an Algerian national who held legitimate papers to be in France.

Hamou is the 37-year-old man who was shot and arrested for his connection to a terrorist attack in Levallois-Perret.

Most recently, in June, an Islamic State supporter drove a auto carrying firearms and a gas canister into a military vehicle stationed on the Champs Élysées in central Paris, but luckily nobody other than the driver was hurt. "The gunshots were coming from everywhere". "A police investigation was launched and we are searching for the vehicle", the local police department said in a statement immediately following the attack.

The forces had been attacked on six different occasions since 2015, the interior minister said.

Although not life-threatening, not less than three of the six French soldiers who were hit were seriously injured, the French Defense Ministry recorded.

The mayor of Levallois-Perret said the attack was "without any doubt" deliberate.

-Feb. 3: A machete-wielding assailant shouting "Allahu akbar" attacked French soldiers guarding the Louvre Museum, slightly injuring one of them.

The attack vehicle drove away at speed. There was another man out there, a bystander, who was saying "It's a vehicle".

Latest News