It's Official: McLaren And Honda Have Split

Jolyon Palmer and Robert Kubica

GETTYJolyon Palmer will likely battle Robert Kubica for a seat at Williams

McLaren announced it would be splitting with Honda at the end of the season, following a disappointing three-year collaboration, and switching to Renault for three years, reports Efe.

Proceedings did pick up slightly for the 2016 season, with the team finishing sixth in the constructor's championship, but with performance and reliability looking even worse in 2017, McLaren has decided to call it quits.

"I think Red Bull will be fast this weekend, it is not easiest of weekends [for Mercedes] potentially, but I am coming with positivity to win this race, we come here on full attack". There were rumours that Honda might leave the sport after splitting with McLaren, but speaking after the Toro Rosso announcement, Honda's brand and communication director Katsuhide Moriyama said his company sees the new deal as another chance to get to the front of the grid.

"Today's [Friday] announcement gives us the stability we need to move ahead with our chassis and technical programme for 2018 without any further hesitation".

Whether this will be enough remains to be seen, but where else could Alonso potentially go?

Toro Rosso is yet to confirm its 2018 driver line-up. "F1 is my first and only priority, so I will wait to make a decision on that before making decisions on other series", he said.

Sainz currently races for Toro Rosso, Red Bull Racing's sister team, alongside Daniil Kvyat, who he has been firmly trouncing since last year.

Paul di Resta
GETTYPaul di Resta has already driven for Williams this year

By ending their partnership with Renault, Toro Rosso will lose Carlos Sainz to the Enstone team in 2018 with the Spaniard released on a year-long loan from the Red Bull family.

Force India are keen to keep their highly-rated pairing of Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon while Sauber are expected to bring in Ferrari-backed Formula Two leader Charles Leclerc in place of Mercedes-backed German Pascal Wehrlein. "We know that McLaren will push us hard on track and this competition will be to the benefit of all".

"I would like to thank (Red Bull motorsport consultant) Helmut Marko for loaning Carlos to us for this period".

Palmer says he has nothing to lose in the final seven races of the season now that he knows that he is not staying at Renault.

Frenchman Pierre Gasly, the defending F2 champion, has been touted as a replacement next year for Sainz Jr.

Jolyon Palmer has denied speculation that he risks losing his Renault Formula One seat from next month's Malaysian Grand Prix, saying on Thursday that he will see out the remainder of the season.

Latest News