The government claimed these reports were untrue, and the girls missing had merely ran into nearby bushes or towards neighboring villages. Most of the girls are thought to be teenagers. "We parents are equally frightened to see our daughters go there", said Mohammed Mele, who has two children in the school.
"Many of us are traumatized", she added. "The security forces are leaving no stone unturned in their search for the girls".
However, if they are still in Nigeria, our reporter believes they will have travelled to the Sambisa Forest - because, thanks to its vast size and thick tree coverage, it is the only place they can effectively hide.
An worldwide media campaign demanding the release of the girls is launched, backed by A-list celebrities and politicians, and the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls goes viral.
Almost four years ago they abducted 276 girls from a school in Chibok, leading to a worldwide #BringBackOurGirls campaign. Despite this support and some small wins, the Nigerian government has not been able thus far to preserve its territorial integrity and political order against Boko Haram and the attacks to education and the enlightenment ideals that come with it. Since then, he and his generals have repeatedly claimed victory, despite the continuing violent clashes and deaths.
The Army insisted that the police should be responsible for communities that have never been attacked before by insurgents, like Dapchi, and communities that were once Boko Haram strongholds but had since been liberated. "Anything can happen to them", Kachalla Bukar told the BBC. I think the difference between the Chibok incident and this one, is that the Federal Government didn't react in denial, doubt or formed a conspiracy theory.
Daura said the government prefers negotiating the release of hostages to armed rescue missions because the latter could jeopardize the safety of the victims as well as worsening attacks on soft targets by the militants.More news: Vrindavan Holi Celebration 2018 With Holi Songs Festival Of Colors Mathura
He said he had ordered the security agencies to "deploy in full and not spare any effort".
Why don't we know what happened?
The statement also indicated that the Chief of Air Staff, Sadique Abubakar, has relocated to Yobe State to "personally" superintend the search for the girls. Such should not be repeated again by the Federal Government.
It took nearly a week for Nigeria's government to confirm the 110 schoolgirls had been kidnapped.
But even as he begged for action, officials were still disputing the details of the kidnapping.
In a reaction to the UNICEF report, Mr. Kulka Nawal Hutsa of Polo Primary School Maiduguri, Borno State said enrollment had increased in his school because children were excited about schools but the parents were fearful.
According to UNICEF, 1,397 primary and junior secondary schools were destroyed and 2,295 teachers lost their lives between 2012 and 2017.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said this in a statement on Sunday by his Special Adviser, Segun Adeyemi.