"We are having challenges to get the exact no of the girls now because some of the parents came and took their children away immediately Boko Haram came and dropped them off".
The information minister tells reporters that a boy also has been released.
"They gathered us around and addressed us, saying they are not terrorist, and do not kill, after which they released the girls to us".
The ministers dispatched by President Buhari are the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Khadijat Bukar Abba (Foreign Affairs, State) and Abdulrahman Dambazzau, Interior.
Nigeria's government celebrated the girls' release.
The release of the girls came barely a few days after Defence Minister Dan Alli promised that the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls would be rescued.
The release of the girls was negotiated "through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional", the ministry said in the statement.
Aliyu Maina, reunited with his 13-year-old daughter, said the fighters "stopped and blocked the road, they didn't talk to anybody, they didn't greet anybody".
Boko Haram militants freed scores of kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls on Wednesday, according to witnesses.
Similar claims were made about the hours leading up to the abduction of 219 mostly Christian girls from Chibok, which brought sustained worldwide attention on the conflict for the first time.
Last month's kidnappings echoed the 2014 abduction of 276 schoolgirls from Chibok, northern Nigeria.
It was gathered that when the terrorists drove into the town, residents scampered into the bush for fear of another attack.
The militants are said to have left immediately.
There is a heavy security presence in the town, making it hard for reporters to gain access to Dapchi.
Nigerian army spokesman John Agim told CNN the allegations weren't true and the army had not been informed.