The UAE has asked its citizens to put off unnecessary travel to Kerala where a Nipah virus outbreak has claimed 11 lives while at least 40 others are in quarantine, the health ministry said in a statement.
The death toll due to Nipah virus reached to 14 with the death of 22-year-old Abin, who was admitted to a private hospital in Kozhikode with the infection. An auto driver, he contracted the virus from Kozhikode Medical College Hospital (KMCH). This has resulted in humans coming in contact with the animals that cause outbreak of numerous diseases.
Further, suspected cases in other states have tested negative for the virus, and all the confirmed cases were linked to people who got the infection from the first victim.
Close to 200 patients in these Kozhikode and Malappuram districts are being treated in hospitals, with 26 under observation and three who have tested positive under intensive treatment.
Health officials said the only way to reduce infection in people is by raising awareness of the risk factors and educating people about the measures they can take to reduce exposure to and decrease infection from NiV. Another directive says that the hospital staff should not be granted leave.
Officials on Friday evening ruled out the possibility of the virus spreading through fruit bats or pigs as lab reports from Bhopal turned out to be negative.More news: LeBron James is the greatest player of all
The contact list of the Nipah infected patients has been expanded. The other mode of transmission is human to human, through body secretions and respiratory secretions. Since then, outbreaks of Nipah virus encephalitis have been reported nearly every year in select districts in the neighbouring country.
Earlier, Kerala Health Secretary Rajeev Sadanandan told TNM, "From the management point of view, the infection has been contained, we know where the infection started from".
Nipah virus that causes high fever, headache and coma in extreme cases is spread by fruit bats.
So far, there is no vaccine for Nipah virus, and treatments are mainly supportive care for its symptoms which include mental confusion, fever, vomiting, encephalitis, and disorientation.
Wellbeing authorities connected the underlying passings to an all around colonized by bats at a house in Kerala's Kozihikode where the four individuals from a family kicked the bucket of the uncommon Nipah infection.