Other states also have reported illnesses - including Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and OH - with 28 sickened outside of MI. Now, the CDC stated that the salmonellosis was caused, in this case, by pre-cut melons, among others, all sold by a food distributor in Indianapolis.
Products were packaged in clear, plastic clamshell containers and distributed to Costco, Jay C, Kroger, Trader Joe's, Walmart, Walgreens, Whole Foods and other stores in Indiana, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio. The Illinois Department of Public Health is urging people not to eat any pre-cut melons or fruit salads purchased from any Walmart stores.
Most people infected with Salmonella develop the following signs and symptoms within 12 to 72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria: Diarrhea, Fever, and Abdominal cramps according to the CDC. The illness usually lasts four to seven days.
Health officials are investigating a multistate salmonella outbreak linked to pre-cut melon.
Children younger than 5, adults older than 65, and people with weak immune systems are most in danger of severe illness.More news: Trump trade adviser: Harsh comments against Trudeau were a ‘mistake’
The people infected with the disease said that they had consumed pre-cut watermelon, cantaloupe and fruit salad which consisted of melon. Packages of pre-cut melon were recalled over the weekend in eight states for possible contamination.
The reported illnesses have occurred in eight different states, including five cases confirmed in IL (none in Will County).
Indianapolis, In. - Precut melon connected to a salmonellosis outbreak may have come from an Indianapolis produce supplier.
In a statement from Kroger, the retail company says, "Food safety is our highest priority and we are closely monitoring this situation while assisting the CDC and FDA in their investigation".
"If you have recently purchased pre-cut melon from Walmart, throw it out". The melon products have been recalled. Whole melon is still OK to eat, the CDC said. This is risky enough to lead to death unless the patient receives immediate treatment with antibiotics. No deaths have occurred so far, although 31 affected people were hospitalized.